Through grassroots community organizing SAVE will influence elections and voter turn out for the benefit of the LGBTQ+ community.
I’m proud to share that our strategic focus for 2020 is community engagement and fieldwork. By focusing on the field, we return to SAVE’s core competency on which it has built its reputation and political power through grassroots organizing efforts that support our strategic imperatives:
- To get pro-equality public service leaders such as legislators, judges, county commissioners, municipal council members, and mayors running for public office elected regardless of party affiliation.
- To influence the outcome of the U.S. presidential race to get a pro-equality candidate and administration elected.
- To mobilize pro-equality voters to turn out at the polls for elections; especially in communities that are hard to reach, who are contacted seldomly and/or are undecided voters that can make the difference between winning or losing.
- To advocate for policy at all levels of government and business that supports the LGBTQ community’s ability to thrive and reduce harm.
- To engage the residents in conservative neighborhoods to reduce prejudice.
- To engage employers in in-depth LGBTQ competency training and updates to their human resource policies to create welcoming work environments for LGBTQ people.
For more than 25 years SAVE has dedicated itself to protecting people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) against discrimination. Since our founding in 1993, SAVE remains the home to civic-minded community members that believe in fighting for equality and fairness for all. They are the champions, heroes, activists, and ordinary people who go to work every day searching for and believing in a world that is fair. Despite busy schedules, our community of volunteers make time to sit on endorsement panels, call voters or knock on doors to get out the vote, organize a variety of events to build awareness of our issues, and engage the broader community to have conversations that effectively help reduce prejudice.
No joke, the stakes are high in 2020. There are over 100 key races, and at least three with openly LGBT candidates right here in Miami-Dade, at the local, state, and federal levels including the presidency of the United State where we will work in the field to make sure our community is protected. There are many challenges that lie ahead including voter suppression, as well as voter apathy. For example, a recent study shows that 1 in 5 LGBTQ adults isn’t even registered to vote, and at the same time, nearly half of all Americans incorrectly believe we are already protected under Federal law. So, our work is cut out for us, but we know that we can make a difference as we have before when SAVE’s efforts to protect the Miami-Dade County Human Rights Ordinance resulted in one of the largest voter turnouts in history.
We will continue to build our field efforts by hiring a Community and Field Organizer. And, we will continue to rely on the support and volunteer efforts of people like you. Let us know you are interested in volunteering by signing up to be on an endorsement panel or to be part of our canvass team.
I’m looking forward to working alongside you in our fight for equality. Please feel free to reach out to me by email, call, or text to schedule some time to get together. Rest assured I will be reaching out to you.
Yours in service,
Executive Director, SAVE