Community & Field Organizer
SAVE (Safeguarding American Values for Everyone) is an umbrella organization consisting of SAVE Foundation (C3), SAVE Inc (C4) and SAVE Action PAC. SAVE is South Florida’s leading organization dedicated to protecting people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender against discrimination. Since 1993, SAVE has advocated for equal rights for persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We accomplish this through grassroots action. In 2014, SAVE updated Miami-Dade’s Human Rights Ordinance to include gender identity and gender expression. And in 2015, SAVE launched its prejudice reduction program to reduce transphobia through face-to-face conversations. In 2020, SAVE Action PAC will engage in over 100 campaigns to support pro-LGBTQ candidates from the local level to the national level that will be critical in advancing equality for LGBTQ people.
Working closely with the Deputy Director, the Community & Field Organizer will be responsible for continuing to build LGBTQ leadership and visibility in the movement through grassroots action such as canvassing, phone banking and trainings to further SAVE’s mission and support pro-LBGTQ candidates in South Florida. This is an ideal position for someone with volunteer leadership experience and/or one to two years of professional organizing experience.
Scope of Work
- Develop and implement a grassroots action plan to complement our community engagement and public policy agenda that expands the number of LGBTQ people and allies engaged with SAVE and is centered on volunteer leadership development
- Help lead efforts to influence public policy at the federal, state, and local level through various forms on community engagement and outreach
- Maintain constituent database of volunteers and voters. Prior experience with the NGP VAN, Inc. is a plus
- Assist in coordinating candidate support during the election season
- Collaborate and work with other members of the staff to plan, coordinate and implement public education and organizing activities
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Team-player who is willing to work across teams and pitch-in to ensure all colleagues succeed
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills applicable to a wide range of audiences is critical for this position to engage effectively.
- Must be passionate and knowledgeable about SAVE’s mission and the LBGTQ+ issues and community in general and locally.
- Must be flexible, self-directed, organized and goal-oriented. Should be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and handle pressure well.
- Must be able to travel across South Florida particularly within Miami-Dade and Broward Counties
- Excellent work ethic, relationship building skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Prior experience working with CRM’s (NationBuilder, Salesforce, etc.) and/or NGP VAN Inc. a plus
- Multilingual skills highly preferred (Spanish and/or Haitian Creole)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent (4 years) professional organizing experience
SAVE is an equal opportunity employer.
Reports to: Deputy Director
Hours: Varies, may include nights and weekends
Location: Miami, FL
Compensation: $35,000 - $45,000 year. Cell phone and health insurance stipend provided. 90-day probation period.
Email cover letter and resume with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community & Field Organizer” as the subject. In the cover letter, tell us your desired salary and start date.
Please, no phone calls. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.